Monday 15 October 2012

I Finally Felt my Own Version Of the Runner's High

It was a rainy race day as all of the 5K racers pilled into the starting area.  I was focused as ever and I wasn't going to let the weather or my injured leg get in the way of my goal time of under 25 minutes. 30 Days of Physical and Metal Preparation all comes down to this moment.

Off the start it was very difficuly to move with any type of speed as we were all jammed together in a tight area.  After a couple minutes the course led us to the closed down streets and I was able to breakaway from the large crowd and make my own lane off to the side.  I had set my IPOD to a 25 minute timed run to let me know just when things were getting close.

I didn't anticipate that many hills in the course, which proved to cause major fatigue.  I was wearing down big time, with no idea how much farther to go then I saw a sign that said 500Metres.  At some point I blocked out the sounds of the people cheering us on or even my IPod informing me how long I had till 25 minutes was up.  All I knew was that it was going to be extremely tight.  I went into as much of a sprint as my body would let me in the final 200Metres.  It felt amazing to run right by a bunch of serious joggers who had taken the lead on me in the early stages of the run.  I crossed the finish line and a few seconds later my IPOD came on and said "Congrats, you have completed your 25 minute run".  It was tight.  By the time the official Chip Time came out (I had a chip attached to my running shoe that accurately gave a time based on when I went through the starting and finishing gates) it showed a Official Time of, drum roll.......................24:56!!!!!!!!!!   I DID IT!  Incredibly with 4 seconds to spare!  I finished in 206th place out of 4,400 Runners.  30th place in my Age Category of Males 25-29 yrs old.


Thanks to everyone pushing me towards this goal.  I have made my Father and my Family very proud. Throughout the training I was met with alot of obstacles, vomiting, cramping, severe dizziness, getting hit by Cyclists, Running with Dog Poop on my hand and finally a Doctors Warning not to run due to a deep tissue bruise on my left leg.  But through all of that I had one goal in mind.  To compete in the 5K run and be under 25 minutes.  And now i finally feel my own version of a Runner's High.  Just wanted to give a shout out to a couple of People:

OUTDOOR JOGGING - I played your silly little game and I won.  Sure I might try you again on some sort of inconsistent basis perhaps next summer. But for now we are thru!   

CANCER- Hey you big bully, a small step was made towards figuring you out and destroying you.  Just thought you should know that.


FINAL GRADE:    A+


Part of me feels this blog isn't complete with out some sort of 80's Style Lookback Montague.  Sadly I don't have the time nor the footage to prepare that kind of thing.  But I like to think we can all imagine what it would look like and how awesome it would be.  

1 comment: