Friday 14 September 2012

Day 1 - Attempt at my first 5K time

Today was my first day of Running and it did not go very well. My goal is to run the 5K race in a time under 25minutes.  Now I'm concerned that I might not be able to even run the entire 5K without stopping.

I have no idea how people do this everyday, and how these people even enjoy doing it. After running for a while and feeling like my heart was going to explode my IPOD came on to tell me "You have travelled 1 Kilometre".  This was very disheartening, My Body and I seriously thought I was damn near at least 3 or 4 K at that point. Two things have now dawned on me.  1) I have no real concept of distances. 2) Even in my younger High School track days I never ran more than a couple Miles without stopping.  This is going to be a crazy challenge for me.  As you can see from the Pic to the right I stopped running just after a Kilometre and a half.  
Worst part was after having my ears feel like they were going to explode.  Not sure why they hurt so badly after the run, I googled it and it's a real thing that happens to people sometimes.  check it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/372504-why-do-my-ears-hurt-when-i-exercise/

Right before I stopped running, a group of people waiting for a city bus genuinely looked concerned at the faces I was making, I realized how light headed I was and came to the conclusion that the first day of running might not be the best day to collapse on the street.  Things can only get better.  I'm going to look more into what types of things I should eat in the mornings before a run to gain any type of edge.

FINAL GRADE :     D -

DAYS TO THE RACE:    30




1 comment: